For the record, I have moved to a web server (and moved my apartment too).
After some difficulty, I figured out the database problems. Apparently, I had been marking comments as spam, which cleared them from public view, but not the database. (I would assume that marking them as spam would have also deleted them, but apparently that was intentionally not the case).
I also had difficulties figuring out how to work cpanel and MyPhpAdmin, but for $5 a month, it really can’t be beat.
I won’t have Internet access for a while (only at work), so I won’t be posting very much.
I am proud to say that there was no downtime for this weblog!