Ok, I caught wind of the $1 Verso Ebooks sale way too late. It’s going to expire 11:59 EST tonight. But a year ago today I bought a nice collection of ebooks and thought I’d list some purchases of these excellent books as reference for future sales. Just listing now, will annotate later.
Verso Books sells lots of books on social, culture and economic criticism (including neo-Marxist criticism). Also, surprisingly lots of books on climate change, avante-garde, fiction and futurist speculations.
- Allegory and Ideology by Frederick Jameson. See also Ancient and the Postmoderns
- Against Creativity by Oli Mould
- American Breakdown by
- Fully Automated Luxury Communism by
- Beauty and the Inferno by Roberto Saviano.
- New Dark Age by James Bridle.
- Grand Hotel Abyss: The Lives of the Frankfurt School by Stuart Jeffries
- The Great Cowboy Strike: Bullets, Ballots and Class Conflicts in the American West by Mark A. Lause
- Screened Out by Jean Baudrillard
- The Shock of the Anthropocene
- I’m with the Bears, Edited by Mark Martin. Cli fi fiction anthology.
- Film after Film by J. Hoberman
- People’s History of the World by Chris Harmon
- Living in the End Times by Slavoj Zizek
- Philosophy of Walking by Frederic Gros
- Emancipated Spectator by Jacques Ranciere. See also Intervals of Cinema. French film theorist.
- Against World Literature by Emily Apter. Comparative literature and theory.
- Molecular Red by McKenzie Wark
- Man Tiger by Eka Kurniawan
- Capitalism in the Web of Life by Jason W. Moore
- Verso Book of Dissent (anthology)
- Fossil Capital by Andreas Malm
- History of Violence by Oscar Martinez
- In the Flow by Boris Groys
- Lamentations of Zeno by Ilija Trojanow. Cli fi novel.
- Age of Folly by Lewis Lapham (essays). Makes the argument that Trump’s ascent was predictable.
- Vertical by Stephen Graham.
- Right to have rights by
- Radical Technologies: Design of Everyday Life by Adam Greenfield.
- General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money by Geoff Mann
- Climate Leviathon by Geoff Mann and Joel Wainwright.
- Duty Free Art by Hito Steyerl. Filmmaker on the Net culture, digitalization, etc.
- Out of the Wreckage by George Monbiot. (Very respected British Climate change journalist)
- Work: Last 1000 years by Andrea Komolsy
- Verso 2017 Mixtape (Free anthology)
- Aesthetics and Politics — anthology of Frankfurt school.
- Violent Borders: Refugees and the Right to Move by Reece Jones.
More coming. If you haven’t looked at it, check out my recommendations for the Smashwords July ebook sale (expires at the end of July).
Personville Press Giveaways and Deals
I run Personville Press, a small literary book press where all the ebooks cost less than $4. All the titles are discounted on Smashwords for less that price — and usually under $1.50. Pay attention to any 100% coupon codes which I occasionally list below — they can be redeemed only a small number of times, so first come, first serve. Smashwords only sells epub versions of these titles, but you can easily convert them to Amazon’s mobi format by using Kindle Previewer or Calibre.
- Minor Sketches and Reveries by Alberto Balengo. (Free ) Introspective tales involving animals, allegories and the melodrama of everyday life. Free Download page. Also free on Smashwords, BN, Apple, Kobo.
- Interview with the Sphinx. By Jack Matthews. ($1.10 until 5/18/2019). no coupon code required) Hyperintellectual Tom Stoppard-like play which reads like a novel about a strange interview with the ancient Sphinx character. Freud and Florence Nightingale show up too. I loved this play and even produced an audio version of it (3.99 on cdbabyand itunes), but the script reads well too.
- A Worker’s Writebook by Jack Matthews . $1 on Smashwords! Matthews distributed a photocopied version of this writing guide to his Ohio U. creative writing students over the decades.
- Soldier Boys: Tales of the Civil War by Jack Matthews. $1.50 Philosophical Stories Taking place during the US Civil War.
- Abruptions: 3 Minute Stories to Awaken the Mind by Jack Matthews. Flash Fiction. $1.30
- Hanger Stout, Awake (50th Anniversary Edition). by Jack Matthews. Coming of age novel. $1.50
- Three Times Time Story Sampler by Jack Matthews (Always Free!) US Amazon customers can sometimes get it for free, but to make things easier, you can down these files directly without having to register: Epub, Mobi.