This is my first month with a new computer, so I’m transitioning my files and equipment. This is the first PC I bought without a CD/DVD drive, so that makes me somewhat nervous in the CD media department. (I’m going to keep my previous computer for a few months in case that becomes an issue). I’m going to play around more with ibroadcast which lets you upload and stream your music collection for free. Also, as luck would have it, I’m on a 3 month trial premium membership for Spotify. Mainly I’m using it to listen to albums I’m thinking of purchasing on emusic with emusic credits.
Capsule Reviews from my Collection
Books/Articles about Music
Here’s a music journalism book by Suzanne Rothberg (sister of 90s rockstar Patti Rothberg). Just For The Record: Featuring candid interviews with famous rock legends.
Speaking of Rothberg, I’ve been listening to Patti Rothberg’s Pizza Box album (reviewed here). So far I’m really loving what I hear. Rothberg put out an amazing album, Between the 1 and 9 in the nineties, and every few years she puts out a new one. I’m pleasantly surprised at how contemporary her later albums seemed. Occasionally her sister videotapes her performing at a local club or bookstore (like this one or this one). These videos are kind of sad — the gigs are 2nd gig and kind of throwaway, and yet Rothberg is such a wonderful performer and has a lovely positive attitude all the time.
- Still life on Fire by Mises es Scene. Canadian girl’s country rock. A lot of fun.
- Confessions by Sarah Jane Scouton
- Legends Live in Concert Vol. 23 by Ozark Mountain Daredevils. 70s Country concert which was dynamite.
- Loveless Unbeliever by The School (Elefant Records).
- Totem Tongue by 13 Year Cicada.
- Doomin’ Sun by Bachelor, Jay Som & Palehound. Smart album with a dumb name.
- If you’re dreaming by Anna Burch
- Ola Belle Reed and Southern Mountain Music on the Mason-Dixon Line by Ola Bella Reed. 7.49, 147 minutes, 58 tracks.
- Albums by Tanya Donnelly (free). Donelly is the half-sister of Kristin Hersh and they both sang wild stuff in the band Throwing Muses, then Donelly moved onto other bands and projects (Breeders and Belly). I’m happy to see a good number of freebies here. Hey that merits a photo, doesn’t it?
- s/t by the Clears
- Black Mountain Blue Sea by Many Birthdays.
Freegal & Library CDs
- Heart. Songs.
- Deep Purple
- Between Waves by Album Leaf
- Songs of Joan Baez.