Abbreviations: KU means Kindle Unlimited, LE means that lending of this Kindle title is allowed, and APUB means it was published under an Amazon imprint.NYP means “Name Your Price” (that’s an option on Smashwords and other booksellers).
I learned a few fun fact about Kindles.
Indie Author Spotlight
Under the Radar
Several books by Marco Vassi, an cerebral erotica writer who I’m writing an essay about.
Cognitive Biases In A Nutshell: How To Spot And Stop The Hiccups In Our Thinking Process by Thinknetic
The Importance of Now by Paul Schumacher
Blink and It’s Gone
Unlearning: Master Hard Skills, Outsmart the Competition, and Accelerate Your Career by Scott Young (author website). 2.99 An autodidact shares some techniques for tackling complex learning projects. Recommended.
Poilu: The World War I Notebooks of Corporal Louis Barthas, Barrelmaker, 1914 – 1918 by Louis Barthas. (wiki article). Journal of a French infantry soldier.
Best Practices for a Healthy Heart: How to Stop Heart Disease Before or After It Starts by Sarah Samaan. 1.99 Highly recommended. I bought this ebook during a sleepless night when I wanted to learn more about heart disease. Even though the book is a decade old (medical research and standards have changed), but the author is a cardiologist and the information is presented succinctly and effectively. This is exactly what I needed.
Related to the above title is a more recent Prevention Myths: Why Stress Tests Can’t Predict Your Heart Attack and which tests actually do by Ford Brewer and Todd Eldredge. 2.99 This book is more advanced and more up to date. It has an agenda of sorts: to promote the use of Carotid Intima-Media Thickness testing (CIMT) as a way to diagnose heart disease. This is not necessarily a criticism, but it sheds light on the author’s perspective. There are some vids with the authors here, here and here.
Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe
Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates. (author website).
Library Purchases/Printed books
The Future of Life by E.O. Wilson
Dual Citizens: A novel by Alix Ohlin
Philosophy at 33 1/3 Rpm: Themes of Classic Rock Music by James Harris
New York Times Essential Library: Opera: A Critic’s Guide to the 100 Most Important Works and the Best Recordings, Anthony Tommasini
What Wild Ecstasy: The Rise and Fall of the Sexual Revolution, by John Heidenry
Portrait of a Novel: Henry James and the Making of an American Masterpiece by Michael Gorra
The Twin (Rainmaker Translations) by Gerbrand Bakker
Elegies for the Brokenhearted: A Novel by Christian Hodgen
Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth
Double Agent: The Critic and Society by Morris Dickstein
Literary Articles and Essays
Capsule Book Reviews
Book Roar Review
Personville Press Deals
I run Personville Press, a small literary book press where all the ebooks cost less than $4. Prices normally appear highest on Amazon, Apple, Kobo and BN, somewhat lower on Google Play Books and lower on the two DRM-free stores which are Smashwords and Payhip. Personville Press is committed to selling DRM-free ebooks and audio files directly from the Personville Press payhip store or from Smashwords.
- Second Death of E.A. Poe and other Stories by Jack Matthews. Did Edgar Allen Poe fake his death? That’s what a Baltimore doctor needs to figure out in the title tale for this 11th story collection. Payhip| Smashwords | Google Play |BN | Apple | Kobo | Amazon US | Amazon UK |
- Minor Sketches and Reveries by Alberto Balengo. ($2) Introspective tales involving animals, allegories and the melodrama of everyday life. Payhip | Amazon | Smashwords |Google | BN | Apple | Kobo.
- Interview with the Sphinx. By Jack Matthews. ($1.50). Hyperintellectual Tom Stoppard-like play which reads like a novel about a strange interview with the ancient Sphinx character. Freud and Florence Nightingale show up too. I loved this play and even produced an audio version of it which you can buy for $2 on payhip (mp3/m4a) but the script reads well too. The audio book will be available on audible and other platforms very soon.
- A Worker’s Writebook by Jack Matthews . $2.25 Matthews distributed a photocopied version of this writing guide to his Ohio U. creative writing students over the decades.
- Soldier Boys: Tales of the Civil War by Jack Matthews. $1.25 Philosophical Stories Taking place during the US Civil War.
- Abruptions: 3 Minute Stories to Awaken the Mind by Jack Matthews. Flash Fiction. $2.25
- Hanger Stout, Awake (50th Anniversary Edition). by Jack Matthews. Coming of age novel. $3.00
- Three Times Time Story Sampler by Jack Matthews (Always Free!) US Amazon customers can sometimes get it for free, but to make things easier, you can down these files directly without having to register: Epub, Mobi.