Opinion & Analysis Pieces
I generally make casual remarks about politics when blogging about political subjects. But the links below articulate a position more clearly and generally are better researched.
Climate Change and Energy
- What will the climate change bill cost Texans and Americans? (5/2010)
- 97% of climatologists believe that human activity causes global warming. Discussion of a controversial survey and whether academics are biased. (1/2010).
- Is Your Website Green? A 2 part series I wrote for the Houston Chronicle’s techblog about how hard it is to figure out the carbon footprint of web hosting and cloud computing. Part 1, Part 2
- You do not have the right to waste my time. A tongue-in-cheek indictment of people who repeat lots of canards without doing basic research. (1/2010)
- Amazon & Apple are ranked at bottom of climate change scorecard (and what about ebooks?) (7/2009)
- Political Crises: The Cold War vs. Climate Change. (7/2010).
- Pushback on Social Media. I give a personal account about the shortcomings and limitations of Facebook and Digg (6/2010).
- How to Buy Individual Health Insurance in Texas. A checklist of questions plus a discussion of the difficulties in choosing a plan. (Ongoing)
- The Media Never Lies (It Just Doesn’t tell the whole story). Why Newspapers misreport the climate change debate. (2/2010).
- We have a shortage of TV news analysts who are not millionaires. (2/2009).
- Bloggers vs. Journalists: A comparison (2/2008).
Career Advice and Job Search
- Careers, Altruism and Getting by (6/2007)
- Straight Talk about Grad School is a long discussion about the perils of going to grad school.