(This is an incomplete holder page. I am behind on filling these things in. Stay tuned)
As of October 2011, I created an index of books I reviewed here. I will continue to list books I am currently reading here, but I will not attempt to write capsule reviews or even to link to them. For that you should check the index of books I reviewed. Movie Reviews will continue to be listed and annotated as before. See also my 2010 Reading/Watching List, 2009 Reading/Watching List, 2008 Reading/Watching List , 2007 Reading/Watching List my previous Sept 2004 to Oct 2005 reading list or my Nov 2005 to Nov 2006 Reading List , so definitely check that out as well. See also my Best of 2006 for a scoop about favorites. See also Writers who have Changed Me. A few remarks. I’m reading several books at a time, and to be honest, sometimes I don’t read all of them depending on the content or my interest. Usually however, it’s been a matter of attention span and what other projects I’ve been doing. Also, you might want to check my favorite novels, and my Amazon.com wishlist. Also here’s an annotated photo of my bookshelf Also, I haven’t read most of these books, but I’ve been setting up Amazon lists of classic Texas novels (100 novels and counting). You also might enjoy reading my Amazon list of Unforgettable Forgettable Novels. I’ve also started adding my book inventory to librarything.com. At the bottom of this page you will find a list of movies I’ve been watching.
As of 2014 I have a lot of ideas about how I might rework this section. For one thing, I’ve started listening to a lot of music which I’ve wanted to start reviewing. Also, I find I have been too busy to maintain this list — especially the book review part. This page now will be mainly a listing of book titles with capsule reviews of movies and TV shows.
What I’m Reading
- Shoah — complete screenplay.
- EPUB 3 Best Practices: Optimize Your Digital Books by Matt Garrish, Markus Gylling
- The last Jew of Treblinka : a survivor’s memory 1942-1943 / Chil Rajchman; translated from the Yiddish by Solon Beinfeld.
- Philip-Lorca diCorcia / essay by Peter Galassi.
- Shoah – The Complete Text of the Film by Claude Lanzmann, published by Pantheon Books, New York 1985.
- To Hell and Back by April Hamilton
- Adelaide Einstein by April Hamilton
What I’ve Been Watching
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- Civil War — Ken Burns Series
- Night of the Comet
- Seeta Aur Geeta – Ramesh Sippy
- Rocket Singh: Salesman Of The Year. Rocket Singh is an Indian dramedy about a recent grad who decides to start his own company after working for a large computer company which sucks his soul. A somewhat predictable storyline which nonetheless asks serious questions about life and work and probably portrays accurately the working life of many smart Indians. This USED TO BE on Netflix Streaming — not currently — but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it pop up again. I loved it! (Compare to Jill Sprecher’s “Clockwatchers” or Mike Judge’s “Office Space.”)
- Boyz ‘n the Hood (second time)
- Tonya Harding documentary
- The Heat. I don’t normally go for cop films, but Michael Mann’s script for the 2013 comedy “The Heat” was definitely one of the funniest and most clever things I’d encountered in a long time. (Great cast too!) I guffawed repeatedly. The movie had too much drugs and guns, but other than that, it was a lot of fun.
- In the Name of the Father
- Car Wash
- Adrift in Tokyo
- I want my name back
- 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days