Starting in November 2018 I am running on the right sidebar ebook ads, basically a one line tag line with a book cover. Right now, my focus is on promoting high quality indie titles on Smashwords (because of their great affiliate incentives for websites). But I would certainly entertain other kinds of ads — especially of the ebook variety. Although this blog sometimes gets pretty dormant, I expect 2018-9 to be a very busy time on this blog, with lots of literary/Texas traffic especially. I expect to be writing a lot of book reviewers and literary-type blogposts. Also, I hope to expand to another site which is more review-focused, so there is potential for ads here to go on the other site as well.
Here is information about how to submit an ebook ad for a Smashwords title. Note: Ebook ads stay on my website (all 2900 pages worth!) for a full month. I plan the ads and placement on the first day of every month.
If you have a conventional non-Smashwords ebook ad in mind, I’m open to it and can quote you a rate. I don’t do CPM ads or third party ads, but I can quote you a reasonable monthly rate. The most important thing to me is helping out other indie authors and artists.
- All Ads will appear as a widget within this wordpress blog (i.e., they are not third-party). That means ad-blockers will never hide your ad.
- Visitors from mobile sites will not see the ads (or rather they will only see them at the bottom of the post). I am using a wordpress theme which does this on purpose.
- An image-based ad is ok (no longer than 30K), but it has to be static and not too distracting. Prefer an image that is somewhat abstracted or simple or design-oriented.
- Generally starts at the beginning of the month
- I am not tracking your clickthroughs (that’s your job!)
Type of Acceptable Ads
Let me say first that I have a strong preference for indie literary ads.
- ebook titles (especially fiction or indie titles or )
- local arts events or organization.
- things I might see myself buying. For example, I don’t think a Harlequin book would be a good fit (I”d never read it), but an offbeat chick lit thing or a comic book wouldn’t phaze me).
- NSFW is ok (within reason!) but the clickthrough page should be tasteful and hopefully have no nudity.
About this blog (As of Feb 2012)
- (Ouch! This data is way out of date. I’ll update soon!)
- 10+ years old. Majority of the content is LONG thoughtful content.
- updated once or twice a week
- Content in the last year has been on literary topics and book reviews
- 15,000-20,000 page views per month; 10,000-15,000 unique visitors a month. In previous years it has been 20,000-25,000 per month.
- 75% of traffic is US, 7% is UK, 7% is English (country unspecified).
- Google page rank 5.
- Average stay on site is 1 minute 20;
- 90% of visitors are new
- 86% are Search Traffic; 7% is referral traffic; 7% is direct traffic.
- a sizable amount of content has a Texas theme; a sizable amount of content is about literature and the arts
- in the past 2 years, I would break down the content like this: literature/ebooks 40%, climate change 30%, my literary essays 20% and miscellaneous stuff 10%.
Instructions for Setting Up Ads.
- Make sure you already have a rectangle ad or skyscraper ad, and that what you promoting conforms to the guidelines about acceptable ads (see above).
- Send me an email about availability. (You can also include ad copy).
- After I approve, you will need to paypal money, and the ad will run at the date we agree.