Here are the current ad rates for this blog.
- $35 per month for a 290 x 250 rectangle pixel ad (no more than a 30 KB file); $20 for ads below the first one. This does not include the Jack Matthews ebook ad which is always on the top right (I am publishing his ebooks!). The first ad will show up on the sidebar where you see the link “Advertise here.” All additional ads will appear underneath them, alternating with other text widgets (i.e., “most popular posts,” “recent comments,” etc).
- I could be persuaded to do a 600x 160 pixel skyscraper ad if there are no other ads running. The rate should be 33% higher than the rectangle ad.
- For those keeping score, the CPM rate for the rectangle ad is the amazingly affordable 1.75 CPM and the skyscraper ad is 2.32 CPM .
- Ad will appear as a widget within this wordpress blog. That means that ad block plus will never hide this ad from surfers.
- Prefer text-only ads (but strange fonts and background color is fine).
- An image-based ad is ok (no longer than 30K), but it has to be static and not too distracting. Prefer an image that is somewhat abstracted or simple or design-oriented.
- Generally starts at the beginning of the month
- I am not tracking your clickthroughs (that’s your job!)
Type of Acceptable Ads
Let me say first that I have a strong preference for indie literary ads.
- ebook titles (especially fiction or indie titles or )
- local arts events or organization.
things I might see myself buying. For example, I don’t think a Harlequin book would be a good fit (I”d never read it), but an offbeat chick lit thing or a comic book wouldn’t phaze me).
- I am generally not interested in accepting ads for web services/household products/ gadgets. My main goal in accepting advertising is to create a space where indie authors and artists can gain more visibility. I am generally not interested in promoting well known titles or things like Harlequin novels. But an offbeat chick lit thing or a comic book wouldn’t phaze me). NSFW is ok (within reason!) but the clickthrough page should be tasteful and hopefully have no nudity.
About this blog (As of Feb 2012)
- 10+ years old. Majority of the content is LONG thoughtful content.
- updated once or twice a week
- Content in the last year has been on literary topics and book reviews
- 15,000-20,000 page views per month; 10,000-15,000 unique visitors a month. In previous years it has been 20,000-25,000 per month.
- 75% of traffic is US, 7% is UK, 7% is English (country unspecified).
- Google page rank 5.
- Average stay on site is 1 minute 20;
- 90% of visitors are new
- 86% are Search Traffic; 7% is referral traffic; 7% is direct traffic.
- a sizable amount of content has a Texas theme; a sizable amount of content is about literature and the arts
- in the past 2 years, I would break down the content like this: literature/ebooks 40%, climate change 30%, my literary essays 20% and miscellaneous stuff 10%.
Instructions for Setting Up Ads.
- Make sure you already have a rectangle ad or skyscraper ad, and that what you promoting conforms to the guidelines about acceptable ads (see above).
- Send me an email about availability. (You can also include ad copy).
- After I approve, you will need to paypal money, and the ad will run at the date we agree.
I flirted with the idea of setting up an ad server to process and serve ads (probably OIOpublisher) and I am toying with the idea of joining an Ad Network (Litbreaker, BlogAds, BSA, etc). The reasons for not joining a third party ad network are: 1)I want more control over which ads I run, 2)cutting out the middle man saves the publisher and advertiser money and most importantly 3)third party ad networks are basically blocked by Adblock Plus. By serving the ads locally, I pretty much guarantee that the ad will show up regardless of browser.